Monday, August 16, 2010

Round two - here we go again

It's been one day and I'm already excited about what I'm going to write about next.  I'm doing it because I love it and frankly, I have a lot to say (maybe nothing of value though!)

Going away on my New York trip was a blessing and a curse.  All I can think about is the past and how I'm going to get myself there permanently.  I'm a big believer in staying in the present, but this trip has made me more independent, alive, vibrant, risk adverse and has made me that much more driven.  Unfortunately, it's not that easy for me.  I live in Canada and in order to get into the beautiful U S of A, I would need to prove that I have unique abilities and jump through a  million hoops.  With that said, this doesn't mean that I won't try or accomplish it for that matter; it just makes it daunting.  I did some research today and my eyes started to cross within an hour.  Weeding my way through the endless pages of government lingo, acronyms and links started to fluster me and I decided to switch to writing.  It always calms me and once I am able to throw my thoughts onto a page, I find myself functioning more efficiently, clearly and directly.

While I was in New York, I went to the Montauk with a great friend of mine.  He introduced me to a bunch of people and one of them was a young, beautiful, successful woman.  She lived in an area of New York that I would die to live in and worked a job she enjoyed, but worked ridiculous hours.  All she could talk about was how she wished she lived in Canada, away from the city, close to nature and experienced basically the opposite of everything she has.  All I could talk about was how I wanted everything she has (maybe minus the ridiculous hours). Is the grass always going to be greener on the other side? When we do get to the other side, does dusk suddenly set in and the grass is no longer green? Being well aware of this age old saying, I took this trip to find out.  I was hoping I would get to the big apple and hate it.  I was hoping I would hate breathing in pollution and being pushed by busy New Yorkers on the street.  I was hoping I would be bored with the city lights after my first week.  I was hoping I would find myself longing to be back with my blue skies, endless beaches, mountains, oceans and fresh air.  Well, we can all see that that did not turned out as I was hoping.

In other news, I have been distracting myself with my favourite activity - thrifting.  Yes, you heard me correctly.  Thrift store shopping amongst the dirty sweaters, dingy books, dusty sandals and unique treasures.  I'm a closet thrifter, so to speak.  I pride myself on the fact that I rarely pay full price for an item, but I don't think I look like it. Maybe I'm wrong....maybe I stand out like a sore thumb and have a big sign above my head that says "OBSESSED WITH THRIFTING."  Either way, I found the most incredible boots and blazer today.  Each only $6! I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't wait until fall sets in so I can put them into action.

No comments:

Post a Comment